Maharaja’s Technological Institute is the oldest Polytechnic in Kerala State. Located in the heart of Thrissur, the polytechnic evolved from a war technicians training centre and this was established by the Govt. of India during World War II. In 1946, this training centre was named as Maharaja’s Technological Institute and diploma courses in Civil, Mechanical and Electrical Engineering were started in 1947-48. Later on in 1991-92 and 1998-99 Electronics Engineering and Computer Engineering diploma courses also began in this institution. When the Directorate of Technical Education was formed under Govt. of Kerala, the Institution came under the administrative control of the Directorate.
Maharaja’s Technological Institute is a premier technical education center in Kerala targeting the rural people. Even though, the institution is located in the heart of Thrissur town, it is surrounded by a number of villages. This institution serves as Nodal Polytechnic for the Thrissur District in which there are seven other polytechnics. The college has hostel facilities for men which attracts students from distant rural locations.
To become a frontline global institute.
“To insure that our students acquire the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully in the modern world as engineers, and to instill in them an ability for life-long learning and a sense of professional responsibility that will enable them to continue their professional development throughout their careers.”